Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mary Jane's Book Club: American Wife

"This was 1968, and my grandmother had announced to me one afternoon that she'd like to try marijuana; she was hearing a lot about it. I hadn't previously tried pot myself, and without enthusiasm, I'd approached Dena when she was next in town - as a stewardess, she could fly free into Milwaukee, then come to visit me in Madison or go home to Riley - and the time after that, when my parents were at a fish fry, the three of us sat in my grandmother's bedroom, smoking a joint. 'While I'm having trouble seeing what all the fuss is about,' my grandmother said, 'I'm very grateful to you girls for satisfying my curiosity.' When the joint was gone, she lit a normal cigarette."
 










American Wife, p. 128
By Curtis Sittenfeld
Published 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment